What length shocks do I need?

Measuring for "Universal" Shocks

When changing the ride height of a vehicle, you will usually need new shocks. It is important to get shocks that will not bottom out or fully extend. This will limit your suspension travel and damage the shock.

If you use a suspension kit, the manufacturer will usually list recommended shocks. If you make custom suspension changes, you will need to measure for universal shocks. To get the right shocks, you will need to know the required extended and collapsed length.


  1. Lift the vehicle and support the frame with jack stands
  2. Remove the wheel and the existing shock. Let the axle hang free.
  3. Take the following measurements:

  • A = Distance between the upper shock mount and the lower shock mount.
    • For eyelet mounts, measure from the center of the hole.
    • For stud mounts, measure from the seating surface.
  • B = Distance between the bump stop and the axle (or frame, depending on your application).

A + 1 in. = Extended Length of the shock

(A - B) - 1 in. = Collapsed Length of the shock